Day 1 Monday June 25th Afternoon arrival from South Australia
Day 2 Tuesday Touring “volcanic’ Auckland Singing with Auckland girls school Visit Auckland’s Skytower
Day 3 Wednesday After a breakfast in the hotel transfer to Aorere College for Maori Choral Workshop. Program includes
- Maori welcome, Powhiri with speech and song from hosts and guests
- learning a Maori choreographed action song taught in sections by sections of the host choir, Sweet Sixteen
- welcome to the Maori Department of the school
- sharing a Maori “Hangi” lunch with the school’s Kapa Haka (Maori Cultural) group in the Maori dapartment.
- participation in the Aorere College unique “singing assembly” under choral director Douglas Nyce including coperformance of Maori song with host choir
- learning the long and/or short poi under instruction. (See the ladies of the Patea Maori Club)
Day 4 Thursday Adjudication day with Auckland school and youth choirs at Holy Trinity Cathedral.
All day participation. Adjudication rounds; sing 15 minutes, one song or many, a cappella or accompanied (there is a piano)
Day 5 Friday Transfer to Rotorua. Lunchtime concert/event at Hillcrest High School Hamilton en route under Mervyn Cook’s direction.
Day 6 Saturday Powhiri, shared meal and shared concert at Ohinemutu Marae.
Day 7 Sunday Transfer to Taupo, afternoon concert.
Day 8 Monday Exploring Waitomo limestone area. Recording opportunity in the unsurpassed acoustic of Waitomo’s Cathedral Cave.
Day 9 Tuesday Touring to Auckland. Evening workshop concert with SingforJoy Devonport choir
Day 10 Wednesday Depart “bound for South Australia”